Sunday, June 16, 2013

Oh Father, My Father... My Hero

 




   Ah Father's Day. A day to remember and celebrate those men who are examples for us. Whether a shining example of how and what we should be or an example of that which we should not aspire to.

Luckily for me, I have the former.

   My dad is amazing. He was constantly there for myself and my siblings. Even when at work he would call to check on the family. Mostly, I think, to assure himself that we were safe and to talk to his sweetheart (my also very loving and amazing mother).
 
However, for me, as a young boy growing up, it was a knowledge that he cared for me. I knew my dad was a phone call away if I ever needed to discuss things with him. Any problem. Any time. It's the reason that a few years ago I got him a sign to hang over his desk that reads: "Dad's Office: Open 24 hours."
  Even now that he's retired, he still checks up on me. I can be at work at 4 in the morning and when he gets up to check and make sure the house is safe, I'll get a text asking how my day is.
 

   My dad's wonderful example is something I truly wish to aspire to. To put it succinctly, one day I'm going to grow up and be the same as my dad. I will be a better man thanks to him. He taught me for years and continues to do so. He teaches by example. Showing me daily how I should act in private or public to how I should treat the fairer sex (for the record he treats my mother like a queen. To this day I have only ever seen them argue once. Seriously, once. I have never before seen them argue, fight or demean each other in any form or way nor have I seen any of these since that minor disagreement. They don't always agree, but they never argue.). He shows me how to protect my family, willing to kill and be killed for our safety.

   From a small child, sitting in the shade of the house on a cold Saturday morning helping my dad work on cars by getting him various tools to helping build an add on to our house to now having him hand me the tools as I work on the cars, my dad has always been there. For that I am lucky. and extremely grateful. I would not, could not, be the man I am today without the loving example and teacher that I am privileged and proud to call Dad.

   Dad, thank you so much for everything you have done and everything you do. for being encouraging as I grew. helping me nurture my talents. I wouldn't be such an avid reader or have a love of writing if it weren't for you. I took them up mostly because you did these things. And I grew to love them. My music may not be the same through and through, but I still have the roots. The classics in my eyes will never die. They will always remind me of various things, like The Moody Blues represents road trips. I believe that very few men on earth have been as great as you. To me you are the embodiment of what a man, a father should be. You are my hero and you always will be. Thank you so much. I love you.

2 comments:

  1. Son. I have no words that can express the fulness in my heart having read this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for being what you are. You are a great example for me to aspire to. Thanks and you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete